Skip to main content

Writing Training Plans - My Process

Since I started coaching triathletes and cyclists for a living in 1992, I've been writing training plans for athletes from different sports, backgrounds, etc.  I can't even begin to tell you how many plans I've written; for individuals, for groups and 'generalized' training plans for the public... but it must now range in the thousands! 
Gotta work on my guns!


Every time I write a plan, I notice that I implement a process.  Since I just wrote the PWR Cycle Training plan for April , on behalf of Life Time, and the Spinervals Super6 plan too, I thought I'd share my process with you.  Who knows, maybe if you're an aspiring coach you can learn something. Even if you're not, it'll give you an inside look at how I "make the sausage". 



Writing a Training Plan 101:

Step 1:  Know your athletes.  
I always start off by determining who I'm writing the plan for, their training history, skills and abilities, fitness level and goals.  If it's for a group, I follow a broader approach, looking at the generality of what the plan should accomplish, and where the plan should go in terms of their annual training progression.    I consider the science behind my methodology, but also the art of training. I try to make training plans challenging and effective, but also such that they fit into the lives of my target athlete(s).  A cumbersome or overwhelming training plan doesn't work for anyone.

Step 2:  Work back from the primary goal(s).
I like short term goals that lead to the key long term objectives.  Typically, I'll look at the desired end result, and work back from there, picking benchmarks / check points along the journey.  So, if an athlete is preparing to race in their 'A' race in October, all of the events (And training) done beforehand is designed to prepare them for a peak performance at the 'right time'.  In doing so, I pull out the calendar and my notes about how I want the athlete to progress, and start developing the next block of training plan based on that information.  Again, the key to long term success is to test yourself periodically, along that path, to discover what's working, and what's not working.

Step 3:  Foster Life Balance
It's easy to load someones training plan with huge volumes of work and intensity.  The problem with this approach is that it forgets that people aren't machines, and need balance in order to be happy and effective.  Athletes, especially adult athletes, who lose that work/personal life/training balance typically burn out, suffer a major set back in work or personal life relationships, or get injured.  When developing a training plan, I often try to put myself in the athlete's shoes. If its an individual athlete, I also try to look at their life from a global perspective, and create a training scenario where they can grow their athletic performance while maintaining balance and happiness overall. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, depending on the individual and their personality... but it's always the goal.  

Step 4:  Safety first
Going back to Step 3, I also look at an athletes health and safety, and if the workout regimen supports that notion.  The way a 22 yr old professional athlete trains, in terms of frequency of workouts, intensity, volume and so forth, is very different than the way a 45 yr athlete with a job and 3 kids can train.  A healthy program for the 22 yr old might put the 45 yr old in the hospital.  Knowing that most endurance athletes tend to err on the side of doing too much, over doing too little, I sometimes skew workouts to doing a little less than the athlete may be capable of.  This works well, as most competitive athletes tend to over train anyway.  Rest days and active recovery days are part of the performance equation, as I'm very fond of saying to my coaches at Life Time.

Step 5:  Start Writing!
This step takes awhile, especially for triathletes doing 3-4 sports.  Considering each element of a workout, including duration, frequency, and intensity, and how one day compliments the day before it, and the day after it, takes concentration and time.  You can't rush it either, so most of my workout writing is done in a quiet area with my noise canceling headphones on.  I also tend to like working under the pressure of a deadline (don't know why!), so I work fast and focused.  Early mornings are best for me.... and coffee helps too.

Step 6: Review your Work
After writing the workout draft, whether it's a spreadsheet or on trainingpeaks, I leave it for awhile to marinate. Then, I come back after a bit and check my work and my progression.  Does it make sense? Will it prepare this athlete for their upcoming benchmark race? How does it fit into the annual training progression?  I also do a 'peer review' in my mind, asking myself to critique the workout as if I were a peer professional coach.  If I can't justify the 'why' behind each workout and the general overall design of the program, I go back to the drawing board and start over.    Having written workouts for major publications over the years, I know that my reputation swings in the balance every time I publish a workout or article, so I want to make sure it's 'air tight'.  

So, that's my process in a nutshell!  Check out my latest workout plans by doing PWR Cycle at Life Time (www.lifetimefitness.com) or the free April Spinervals Super6 program

Always an Adventure!
Coach Troy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Reasons I Fail to Achieve my Goals

It’s that time of year again!    The New Year is just around the corner, so it’s time for everyone to pause in order to reflect on the past, and make their New Year’s resolutions.   We create BHAG’s (Big, Hairy and Audacious Goals), and drive towards them with a burst of tremendous energy and enthusiasm.   Goals like losing weight, finding a better job, starting a new business, improving money management or improving a relationship are all fairly common.    Inevitably, that energy and enthusiasm begins to falter, usually around the 2 nd or 3 rd week of January, and we’re back to the status quo.   “Oh well!”, we tell ourselves, “I’ll start up again next month.” Sound familiar? I know I’ve done this more times than I can remember, and I’ll likely do it again.    The question I keep asking myself is “Why?”. Why do I fail to succeed at accomplishing things that are so important to me?     Intellectually, and as a linear thinker, I know ‘how’ to succeed.   It’s a step by step pro

What In the Heck is Adventures by Troy & Co.?

The Southwest, and Arizona in particular. I love this place. It's wide open skies, the mountains, the nearly perfect weather, the culture.  Let me share with you a little bit of history and why I am embarking on the Adventures by Troy & Co. journey as one of my entrepreneurial endeavors! I grew up in Maryland. I love that place too, but for different reasons. It's where I'm from...my foundation was formed there.  Most of my family still lives in the general area, and it's a great place in which the grow up.  Four seasons, a vibrant culture, proximity to mountains, farmlands, big cities the Chesapeake Bay and the ocean are all at your fingertips.  And let's not forget the I-95 corridor.  Hop on and head south or north, and you're on your way to some of the most interesting and biggest cities on the East Coast. Or, in an hour from where I lived, you can be in our Nation's Capitol, the hub of the federal government and the free world, and some of the m

2017 Tucson Cycling Camp Report

Tucson is such a great place in which to ride a bike.  The terrain varies from steep mountain climbs to false flats, and everything in between.  Factor in awesome weather at this time of year (70's and 80's) along with bright sunny skies,  and it's pretty hard to beat. Tucson Cycle Camp Class of 2017! I started doing triathlon and cycling camps in Tucson in 2001 with my friends, Colleen Kelly and Mike Urquhart, who lived in Flagstaff at the time.  Our first camp attracted 15 triathletes from throughout the U.S., and we based it out of Starr Pass Resort.  Needless to say, we were a little 'green' at the time with regard to the Tucson camp management and logistics! Looking back at that time, I'm just happy to say no one got hurt or killed!  Flash forward over 15 years, and we offer very 'dialed in' training camp experiences where safety and participant experience is most important.  Wow, what a long ride it's been... with an estimated 300+