Skip to main content

2017 Life Time Vegas Cycle / Tri Camp Adventure

Our 4th annual Life Time Endurance Cycle / Tri Camp in Vegas was yet another awesome experience.  Ideal weather conditions, super nice people, great local organization (thanks to Pat Treichel and his crew), and scenic routes lend themselves to a wonderful training camp experience for all 38 participants from throughout N. America.
Trail running near Red Rock.


Held each year in Summerlin, NV (20 minutes north of The Vegas Strip), 'basecamp' is at Las Vegas Cyclery.  LVC is the most spectacular Bicycle Retail and Outdoor Adventure store you'll ever visit, and is situated next to The Element Hotel, a nice hotel with great amenities including kitchenettes, and a complete hot breakfast served daily.  

Campers enjoyed packed schedules each day, including swim practices at the nearby Life Time Athletic, as well as Yoga for Cyclists.  Riding routes took campers up and around the majestic Red Rock State Park loop, including a challenging 4 mile climb to the top, with the most spectacular views imaginable.  And after a day of swimming, cycling, running and lectures on training, campers either headed out to catch a show on The Strip, or gathered at local restaurants to celebrate a great day of training and meeting new friends.
Top of Red Rock. Photo Credit: Rob Abraham

I love hosting training camps.  I've been directing endurance training camps each year since my first one in 1995.  It was held at Gettysburg College, a small liberal arts college in Pennsylvania.  My mentor was a professor of Exercise Science there, and he suggested the location.  About 20 athletes attended that first camp, and took part in V02max testing, rides through the battlefields of Gettysburg, and lectures on training by top pro triathlete, Ken Glah.  For me, a young coach and athlete getting my business off the ground, it was an 'a ha!' moment. I discovered that camps could be profitable, fun, and a great way to meet other athletes! From there, I started to offer camps and clinics throughout the year of all sizes, at one point doing up to 10 a year!  Eventually, I expanded the scope of my camps outside the Mid-Atlantic region, offering camps in Arizona, Wisconsin, MN, MD, KY, NY and other venues.  My longest running camps are in Tucson and Lake Placid, at around 16 years each, respectively.    It's such a pleasure to run into campers from years past!
Heading out for a ride!  Photo credit: Rob Abraham


Overall, training camps are a great opportunity to meet like minded people, to learn, train, and to visit new areas.  I highly recommend that every athlete attend a camp to boost their fitness and knowledge base, and to elevate their enthusiasm for their sport to the next level!  I hope to see you at one , someday soon.
Tough Climb @ 12% grade!  Photo Credit: Steve Marshall

For more information about Life Time Endurance Camps, visit http://www.lifetimeendurance.com/training/camps-workshops/
702 Shifters - the BEST Ride Leads!  Photo Credit: Chistina Ross



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Reasons I Fail to Achieve my Goals

It’s that time of year again!    The New Year is just around the corner, so it’s time for everyone to pause in order to reflect on the past, and make their New Year’s resolutions.   We create BHAG’s (Big, Hairy and Audacious Goals), and drive towards them with a burst of tremendous energy and enthusiasm.   Goals like losing weight, finding a better job, starting a new business, improving money management or improving a relationship are all fairly common.    Inevitably, that energy and enthusiasm begins to falter, usually around the 2 nd or 3 rd week of January, and we’re back to the status quo.   “Oh well!”, we tell ourselves, “I’ll start up again next month.” Sound familiar? I know I’ve done this more times than I can remember, and I’ll likely do it again.    The question I keep asking myself is “Why?”. Why do I fail to succeed at accomplishing things that are so important to me?     Intellectually, and as a linear thinker, I know ‘how’ to succeed.   It’s a step by step pro

What In the Heck is Adventures by Troy & Co.?

The Southwest, and Arizona in particular. I love this place. It's wide open skies, the mountains, the nearly perfect weather, the culture.  Let me share with you a little bit of history and why I am embarking on the Adventures by Troy & Co. journey as one of my entrepreneurial endeavors! I grew up in Maryland. I love that place too, but for different reasons. It's where I'm from...my foundation was formed there.  Most of my family still lives in the general area, and it's a great place in which the grow up.  Four seasons, a vibrant culture, proximity to mountains, farmlands, big cities the Chesapeake Bay and the ocean are all at your fingertips.  And let's not forget the I-95 corridor.  Hop on and head south or north, and you're on your way to some of the most interesting and biggest cities on the East Coast. Or, in an hour from where I lived, you can be in our Nation's Capitol, the hub of the federal government and the free world, and some of the m

2017 Tucson Cycling Camp Report

Tucson is such a great place in which to ride a bike.  The terrain varies from steep mountain climbs to false flats, and everything in between.  Factor in awesome weather at this time of year (70's and 80's) along with bright sunny skies,  and it's pretty hard to beat. Tucson Cycle Camp Class of 2017! I started doing triathlon and cycling camps in Tucson in 2001 with my friends, Colleen Kelly and Mike Urquhart, who lived in Flagstaff at the time.  Our first camp attracted 15 triathletes from throughout the U.S., and we based it out of Starr Pass Resort.  Needless to say, we were a little 'green' at the time with regard to the Tucson camp management and logistics! Looking back at that time, I'm just happy to say no one got hurt or killed!  Flash forward over 15 years, and we offer very 'dialed in' training camp experiences where safety and participant experience is most important.  Wow, what a long ride it's been... with an estimated 300+