Skip to main content

What In the Heck is Adventures by Troy & Co.?

The Southwest, and Arizona in particular. I love this place. It's wide open skies, the mountains, the nearly perfect weather, the culture.  Let me share with you a little bit of history and why I am embarking on the Adventures by Troy & Co. journey as one of my entrepreneurial endeavors!


I grew up in Maryland. I love that place too, but for different reasons. It's where I'm from...my foundation was formed there.  Most of my family still lives in the general area, and it's a great place in which the grow up.  Four seasons, a vibrant culture, proximity to mountains, farmlands, big cities the Chesapeake Bay and the ocean are all at your fingertips.  And let's not forget the I-95 corridor.  Hop on and head south or north, and you're on your way to some of the most interesting and biggest cities on the East Coast. Or, in an hour from where I lived, you can be in our Nation's Capitol, the hub of the federal government and the free world, and some of the most interesting museums and artifacts of American history. And last but not least, let's not forget the sports culture!  Every Baltimore native, depending on how old you are, is/was a Colt's fan, a Raven's fan and an O's fan.   It's an interesting place, with lots to do!

Baltimore Inner Harbor


Ever since my parents took the family to Scottsdale on my dad's business trip when I was a teenager, I've felt a 'pull' from the southwest.  I remember the trip vividly, and how fascinated I was with the desert and the mountains. I also remember how much I liked the southwest architecture, and how manicured and 'clean' Scottsdale was.  That trip set the hook... I knew I'd have to move to AZ someday.

So, about 11 years ago as of my writing this piece, I decided to uproot my young family and move to Tucson! We built a house in a nice neighborhood, and made the move West... and it's been quite an adventure ever since!

First of all, I loved the ability to ride my bike outdoors year-round. As many of you know, I've been an avid cyclist/triathlete all my adult life, and used to hate being forced indoors all winter.  I also started holding winter training camps in Tucson back in 2001, and got to know the area.  But in addition to road riding and triathlon training, I also discovered my true passion around venturing off the pavement and onto the dirt!

Arizona is roughly 75% open land, both State and Federally owned.  With the proper permit, you can access designated recreational areas for some of the most incredible hiking, camping, mountain biking, trail running and hunting experiences anywhere.  I fell in love with this opportunity, and have embraced it, becoming an avid enthusiast in each area.

Tucson, Arizona


I started ABT (Adventures by Troy) to help facilitate and support outdoor experiences for visitors to Tucson, supporting everything from cycling to camping!  As a former 'city slicker', I have come to know and appreciate the mysteries of the Sonoran desert, and wanted to lend my passion and experience to other 'city slickers' who might find it life changing.  Let me tell you... hiking up into the Catalina's or 'wilderness' camping in tent way out in the desert under the huge night sky with the coyotes yelping in the distance CAN BE life changing for many folks!

I can't tell you how many cycling and triathlon campers over the past 18 years have thought about relocating or buying a second home in Tucson. In fact, if you are reading this, and you did make the move, be sure to say something in the comments section!

Any way, with the launch of this new business venture, I'm looking forward to hosting people as they leave one of our world class spa's and resort hotels here in Tucson to connect with nature on a hike, mountain bike or perhaps a night out camping. Or maybe they bypass the resort, and head directly to the desert.    I never thought I would be in involved in this type of business, but it seems to be a natural progression after my past decade in the corporate world, and my love for all things endurance sports and outdoor recreation.

Camping in the Sonoran Desert on JOY Ranch.
So that's the origin of Adventures by Troy & Co.! Hope to see you out here for an adventure someday. Please be sure to reach out!

-Troy


If you're planning to visit Tucson, be sure to check us out at www.adventurebytroy.com.  We also post videos on our Youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfkrpWvtgOp8-5xVtTKqbSQ And if you're a local, join us in local adventures on MEETUP, https://www.meetup.com/Adventures-by-Troy-Co/

Comments

  1. Love Tucson and NM towns too. And my first duty station back in 86 was at APG in MAryland so yeah Baltimore's ok too. Interesting---I know Baltimore owed its baseball team to St Louis ...but actually to Milwaukee too. The original Brewers moved to StL and became the Browns and then moved to Baltimore later and became the Orioles.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3 Reasons I Fail to Achieve my Goals

It’s that time of year again!    The New Year is just around the corner, so it’s time for everyone to pause in order to reflect on the past, and make their New Year’s resolutions.   We create BHAG’s (Big, Hairy and Audacious Goals), and drive towards them with a burst of tremendous energy and enthusiasm.   Goals like losing weight, finding a better job, starting a new business, improving money management or improving a relationship are all fairly common.    Inevitably, that energy and enthusiasm begins to falter, usually around the 2 nd or 3 rd week of January, and we’re back to the status quo.   “Oh well!”, we tell ourselves, “I’ll start up again next month.” Sound familiar? I know I’ve done this more times than I can remember, and I’ll likely do it again.    The question I keep asking myself is “Why?”. Why do I fail to succeed at accomplishing things that are so important to me?     Intellectually, and as a linear thinker, I know ‘how’ to succeed.   It’s a step by step pro

Hustle... Make things Happen!

"Can't Knock the Hustle." - Weezer. Are you someone who is in constant motion, pushing yourself to do things that will help you get the results you so desire?  I call it 'hustle', and to me, it's about making things happen... constantly.  Click on the link below to hear more. Do you Hustle? Do you Hustle? In my experience, very little comes to you unless you create the opportunity for it to. In other words, the actions you are taking right now will influence who you are and what you are doing 6 months from now, a year from now, 3 years from now (you get the picture!). Take, for example, your education and career.  Most of you reading this are professionals, working in a field that requires certain specific skillsets and education... both of which took time and effort to achieve.   You have your profession because years ago, you hustled, and worked hard to get your education, setting up the opportunities you have today.  When we're younger, we m